BAMC HIV Program
Welcome to the HIV Program at the Infectious Disease Service of Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) in San Antonio, TX.
We are a comprehensive program with clinicians, scientists and support staff dedicated to the care of HIV infected individuals who are recipients of the military healthcare system. The HIV Program is the HIV medical evaluation site for the entire USAF and the BAMC region for the US Army as well as provides specialty HIV care for all Department of Defense (DoD) beneficiaries in the local area. Our purpose is to implement the evaluation and treatment of HIV-infected active duty military personnel and beneficiaries, in accordance with the guidelines provided by each military service and for the BAMC member treatment facilities. By seeking to maximize the health of HIV-infected personnel on active duty, and emphasizing prevention of transmission, we enhance and support the critical DoD mission elements of Readiness and Force Protection. In addition to the provision of medical care and evaluation, the HIV Program is integrated with an active research organization and a training program for Infectious Disease fellows.
Our services include:
- Accomplishing complete, periodic medical evaluations of all HIV-infected military personnel
- Providing disease specific specialty care for all local enrolled military beneficiaries.
- Providing medical documentation requirements for Duty Limitation Code Fast Track Reviews and/or Medical Evaluation Disability Boards for active duty members upon initial diagnosis and subsequent evaluations.
- Providing current information and education on the impact of HIV infection on health and well-being, treatment options, healthy lifestyle
- Conducting relevant research in collaboration with other Army and Navy sites, in a safe manner that seeks to increase our knowledge of HIV and improve our ability to treat individuals and combat the world-wide epidemic
- with careful and confidential contact tracing of sexual partners, allowing potentially at-risk partners to be tested for HIV
- Providing consultation as HIV subject matter experts to physicians, other health care providers, patients, and military leadership
Please feel free to explore our web page, and check out the links. We have sought to make this site useful, with important information for HIV-infected military members and their health care providers.