Newborn and Neonatal ICU
The NICU provides newborn health care and neonatal intensive care services to DOD beneficiaries while maintaining military readiness, education & training, and conducting research.
- 26 bed State-of-the-art Level III NICU opened August 2011
- Largest, most versatile joint-service NICU in the DOD
- Family-centered, compassionate neonatal care
- Dedicated blood gas lab, respiratory therapy, transport team capability
- Only Neonatal ECMO center in DOD
- Only ECMO center in the world performing global-range ECMO transport
- Premier training center for NICU nurse residents
- Top 10% of nationally ranked neonatal-perinatal medicine training programs
- One of the first neonatal centers in south-central Texas and in DOD, to pioneer therapeutic hypothermia for neonatal encephalopathy
Initial Newborn Follow-up Appointments
Routine newborn appointments with the Department of Pediatrics Clinics are booked through CAMO at 210-916-9900. For after hours assistance TRICARE beneficiaries can call the San Antonio Patient Assistance Line (SAPAL) at 866-584-9659. Experienced nurses will provide medical advice and nurse triage. Hours of operation are 4 p.m. - 7 a.m. weekdays and 24 hours on weekends and holidays.
The American Academy of Pediatrics Recommends and we strongly believe that all infants be seen between 3 and 5 days of age to assess for jaundice, feeding, and weight gain. If the above process does not work and you can not schedule an appointment for your newborn infant (less than 30 days of age) please contact 210-916-0375.