MHS GENESIS is Here!
On 22 January 2022, the Department of Defense's new electronic health record (EHR), MHS GENESIS, launched here at Brooke Army Medical Center. The MHS GENESIS Patient Portal has replaced TRICARE Online at this facility.
What is MHS GENESIS?
MHS GENESIS is the new Electronic Health Record that provides you and your care team enhanced, secure technology to manage your health information. When fully deployed, MHS GENESIS will be the single health record for service members, veterans, and their families. Learn More about MHS GENESIS
What is the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal?
Along with the new Electronic Health Record, the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal
is a secure website available 24/7 that gives you access to your health information. Through the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal, you can:
- View health information
- Schedule appointments
- Communicate securely with providers
- Request prescription renewals
- View notes from your clinical visits and certain lab/test results, such as blood tests.
The MHS GENESIS Patient Portal is replacing the TRICARE Online Secure Patient Portal. If you have a current prescription with remaining renewals, use the Brooke Army Medical Center Automated renewals line as usual until those renewals run out. Please have your prescription number ready when calling 808-433-6392
What does this mean for me?
MHS GENESIS and the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal are replacing TRICARE Online, including the patient portal and secure messaging at this facility.
- If you have a current TRICARE Online account, it will migrate to MHS GENESIS. No action is necessary from you.
- If you don’t already have a TRICARE Online account, you can log onto patientportal.mhsgenesis.health.mil using your DS Logon Premium Account.
- If don’t have a DS Logon Premium Account or if you have questions about DS Logon, visit the MilConnect Website or call 800-368-3665.
What happens next?
Appointment availability from January through March may be affected, and appointment times may increase as our providers adjust to new technology and workflows. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we integrate MHS GENESIS to provide you with top-notch care.
There are 3 prerequisites for accessing the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal
You need to have accessed care at a site using MHS GENESIS. This can be as simple as filling a prescription at Brooke Army Medical Center, having an appointment with your provider in the clinic, or visiting the Brooke Army Medical Center Emergency Department.
You will need to establish a DS Logon account by creating a username and password at the following website: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/identitymanagement
If you currently have a DS Logon, you will need to log-in and upgrade your account to Premium.
*Please note: The process of completing the online application to establish a DS logon account takes approximately 10 minutes and some of questions may seem intrusive, but it’s to protect your information. The intent of asking for this level of information is to eliminate the chance of unauthorized access to your health information. This application only needs to be done once to establish your account. Active duty and any other personnel with a common access card, or CAC, may use that to login through the DS Logon site.
All sponsors should validate “Relationship” settings to ensure spouses can select and view their dependent’s portal in their Patient Portal. To update visit: https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/identitymanagement
Establishing a DS LOGON and accessing MHS GENESIS Patient Portal
To create and then access the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal, please visit the DS LOGON web page.
- If you do not have a common access card (CAC) or a MyPay account, you will need to create a DS Logon account to access the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal.
- To ensure MHS GENESIS can confirm your identity and provide the highest levels of cyber security and safeguards of your health information, you will be required to complete a brief verification process. You will be provided 3 minutes to complete a 4-question quiz to verify your identity. Responses may include providing your DoD ID number (found on your military ID Card), and some personal information including financial questions, past addresses, etc.
- You will create your MHS GENESIS Patient Portal password in the online registration process. A new password will need to be created every 180 days
- Once you have successfully created your DS Logon, click on "Upgrade To Premium Account" to upgrade your account to Premium Access to view your health information.
- Active duty military and families will need to keep your TRICARE Online accounts. When you PCS from Joint Base San Antonio, your new duty station's military hospital or clinic may not be using MHS GENESIS yet.
For questions regarding DS Logon
- Visit the MilConnect Website
- Contact the Defense Manpower Data Center 800-538-9552
- Note: When using a non-Department of Defense (DoD) computer, you may receive an error message. Click “Proceed” or “Continue” to access the MHS GENESIS Patient Portal. Although you receive the error message, your MHS GENESIS Patient Portal is secure.