Behavioral Health Resources
Guide to Behavioral Health Resources: This list provides information on the many behavioral health resources available to Service Members, their families, and other health care beneficiaries at Fort Sam Houston and across the San Antonio Military Health System. This site provides guidance from who to call, where to go for emergencies, to resources for assistance in accessing behavioral health assessment and treatment, to resources available to obtain support in difficult times. Included are national hotline numbers, contact information for all clinics at Fort Sam Houston, contact information for Chaplains, and more. This printable file makes a good handout to ensure all our health care beneficiaries have ready access to the resources they may need, if they need help.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (800) 273-TALK (8255)
After-hours DA Victim’s Advocate Hotline: (210) 367-1213
Public number/can be provided to all callers.
Primary purpose: Restricted and Unrestricted assistance for adult victims of domestic violence or intimate partnersexual assault.
Veteran’s Crisis Line (800) 273-8255, Press 1. You may also text 838255 for help
Who: Active Duty, Veterans, Retirees, Dependents, Families, and Friends.
Emergency Behavioral Health Services
Call 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Room.
Emergency Department (BAMC) (210) 916-0808
Who: All Beneficiaries.
What: Behavioral Health Emergencies. Provides Command Directed Behavioral Health Evaluations for Emergencies only.
Where: 3551 Roger Brooke Drive, Ft Sam Houston, TX, 78234 in the main hospital.
Behavioral Health Administration
- Phone: (210) 539-1029
- What: Provides administrative support to the Department of Behavioral Health at Brooke Army Medical Center as well as housing the Behavioral Health Education and Training Division.
- When: Mon - Fri 0730am - 1630pm
- Where: Liberty Barracks (5th Floor - Bldg. 3820), 2850 Garden Ave, JBSA, Ft Sam Houston, TX, 78234
Soldier Recovery Unit Social Work Service
- Phone: (210) 916-3523
- Who: Soldiers in Transition and their Families
- What: Provides Social Work Services
- When: Mon - Fri 7:30am - 4:30 pm
- Where: 3551 Roger Brooke Drive, BLDG 3646, on the BAMC Campus
Army Community Service
- Phone: (210) 221-2705
- Who: All Active Duty members and their families, as well as DoD civilians
- What: Provides support to service members and families to promote effective family functioning. Classes, workshops, and many other programs are available on a variety of family and parenting topics, as well as on developing individual coping skills and healthy lifestyle
- When: Mon - Fri 0730 - 1615
- Where: 3060 Stanley Road, Suite 95, Building 2797 Fort Sam Houston
Military Family Life Consultants
- Phone: (210) 627-3183
- Who: All DoD ID card holders, including AD and reserve component, and family members.
- What: Provides short term counseling by licensed counselors without documentation in the medical record
- When: Mon - Fri 0730 - 1615 at Army Community Service building, but available to meet with clients at any time and any place that is arranged with the consultant
- Where: 3060 Stanley Road, Suite 95, Building 279, Fort Sam Houston and embedded in some unit areas
Chaplain Family Life Center
- Phone: (210) 221-5432 during duty hours, (210) 221-2782 after duty hours (Installation Control Center will connect you with Duty Chaplain)
- Who: Active Duty service members and their families
- What: Provides short-term counseling and support, as well as religious services and support
- When: Mon - Fri 0730 - 1630
- Where: Dodd Field Chapel, 3600 Dodd Boulevard, Fort Sam Houston
Staff Judge Advocate General
- Phone: (210) 808-0169
- Who: Active Duty service members
- What: Provides legal assistance and legal services to Active Duty service members (JAG has more than one location on post; call first to ensure you are accessing the appropriate services and to make an appointment)
- When: Mon - Fri 0800 - 1630
- Where: 2271 Reynolds Road, Fort Sam Houston
Employee Assistance Program
- Phone: (210) 221-0133/1254
- Who: DoD civilian employees, their spouses and children over the age of 18, Active Duty military, DoD contractors
- What: Provides short-term counseling for some needs and referrals to network providers for many others. Substance Abuse, Anger management, financial counseling and many other services. 100% confidential, no cost, non-punitive program. At least 2 hours administrative leave authorized to access services.
- When: Mon - Fri 7:30am - 4:30pm
- Where: Building 2263, 2484 Stanley Road (next to the main post office)
Consult and Liaison Behavioral Health Services
- Pager: (210) 513-2243 (This is not a suicide hotline).
- Who: Brooke Army Medical Center Inpatient and Emergency Department staff.
- What: Provides Behavioral Health consultation services to primary medical team.
- When: 24/7
- Where: 6T, 3551 Roger Brooke Drive, JBSA, Ft Sam Houston, TX 78234
TRICARE (800) 700-8646 for Behavioral Health Care
Who: All Beneficiaries. ACTIVE DUTY REQUIRE A REFERRAL before receiving network Behavioral Health Care. Other beneficiaries may receive network Behavioral Health Care WITHOUT a referral.